Who doesn’t want long, soft and voluminous hair? Most of us struggle with slow hair growth or excess hair fall, brittle dull hair, dandruff and scalp infections etc. A healthy scalp needs extra care and most of us are unable to provide it proper nutrients. Maintaining our scalp is complicated, requiring a variety of steps and sometimes personalized treatments. If you are growing your hair, care should be taken so that it is strong and healthy, avoiding any kind of damage and dull appearance. Onion juice for hair loss is considered as the best remedy for hair and scalp problem. It contains sulfur which the main component to make your hair strong which ultimately prevents hair loss and helps in hair growth. Onion juice, when mixed with other ingredients like aloe vera and olive oil, will be the perfect combination to promote hair growth, treat hair loss as well as dandruff. Let’s take a look at the benefits onion juice and the ingredients used in this natural scalp treatment.
Benefits of Onion Juice for hair loss and dandruff
This onion juice for hair loss and dandruff remedy is made up of 3 powerful ingredients i.e. onion juice, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel, and olive oil. All the ingredients have different benefits, as well as they, work with their own uniqueness on hairs and scalp.
- Onion juice has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It helps fight hair lice, dandruff and can be used as a natural hair nourisher and conditioner. It kills bacteria or microbes which lead to hair loss.
- Onions are rich in sulfur, which is known to minimize breakage and thinning of hair.
- Our hair is comprised of a durable protein called keratin, which is high in sulfur content. Sulfur is required for proteins (like keratin) to maintain their shape, which contributes directly to the overall health, strength, and elasticity of hair. More exciting is that there are studies indicating that sulfur has positive effects on hair growth.
- Onions can be used to fight dandruff owing to their rich anti-bacterial properties.
- Onions improve blood circulation which is another way they contribute to hair growth.
Aloe vera Juice
- Aloe Vera contains protein and hair are made of protein. Protein helps make hair smooth and strong.
- Vitamin A present in aloe vera helps to produce healthy sebum, an oily substance secreted by the scalp, which keeps hair from drying out and breaking off. In addition, Vitamin A fights free radicals that weigh your hair down.
- Vitamin B12 in aloe vera is important for a healthy scalp. Because of this, it can help to boost hair regrowth.
- Vitamin C helps fight the bacteria on the scalp. It wards off dandruff and helps to get rid of the follicles’ debris and encourages the growth of new hair. It also helps with dry and itchy scalps because of its antiviral properties.
- Olive oil helps in giving moisture and shine to hair. It helps in regrowth of hair and makes scalp healthier than before as it contains antioxidants and vitamin E which are beneficial for hair and scalp.
- Olive oil solves the problems like dry, flaky scalp or dandruff, switching to olive oil is a good idea.
Procedure for Onion Juice for Hair Loss and Dandruff
- 2 tablespoon onion juice
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- You can adjust the quantity according to your hair
- Peel the onions and chop them into small pieces.
- To extract the juice, you can use a food processor, a blender, a grater or a juicer. I have used a hand grater to extract the juice.
- Run this paste through a strainer or a sieve or an old but clean handkerchief or a cheese cloth.
- Take the juice out.
- Now, mix aloe vera juice and olive oil to it.
How to apply
- Make the partition of hairs and apply the onion juice for hair loss.
- Massage the juice into your scalp or cover the bald patches.
- Leave on for at least 15 minutes (longer if you can tolerate the smell) and then wash out using an herbal shampoo.
- Do repeat this remedy for 2-3 times in a week for the best results.
Those who are allergic to onions, even its topical application can bring about a reaction. Also, certain medications such as aspirin can increase sensitivity to onions. A patch test is necessary before using onion juice for hair loss treatment.
- If you’re bothered by the strong smell of the onion, add some lemon juice or rose water to your hair rinse. Essential oils can also be used. Rosemary, lavender, and peppermint all promote hair re-growth.
- Try adding onion to your food recipes. This will not act as fast as the hair rinse but will provide additional dietary support.
- Stop using commercial shampoos and wash your hair with natural shampoos with low alcohol content once a week. Rinse with cold water when finished, to close the fibers in the hair.
Go ahead and try these remedies and do let me know your experiences in the comments section below.
Get The Daily Healthy.
Get your free dose of healthy living ideas.