Sugar is not just good for your morning cup of coffee or tea. Some people crave for sugar or sweetness but this sweetness can also give benefit to your skin as well. No No, not by eating! You can get the blessing of sugar for your skin simply by putting it on your face and skin. Honey and sugar are considered as the substitute for sweetness but in your face regime, it can be considered as the perfect combination to enhance your beauty. Yes, If you use them as a scrub will exfoliate your skin plus give a glow to your skin. My one of the favorite scrub is honey sugar scrub.
Honey has been scientifically recognised for its anti-microbial and wound healing properties and is now used clinically as a topical treatment for wound infections and acne healing. Moreover, a number of in vitro studies suggest that honey is able to modulate the skin immune system. A scientific research has published the positive effects of treating rosacea with honey. (Source)
Let’s take a look at what is the blessing of honey sugar scrub for our skin.
Benefits Of Honey Sugar Scrub For Skin
- Sugar is a big depository of skin -beautifying qualities if used topically on the skin as an exfoliating scrub. It can deliver excellent results in brightening and polish your skin. It has moisturizing properties that prevent the skin from drying.
- Sugar is slightly abrasive, so it works well for scrubbing off the dead and dry skin on the face. When combined with a moisturizing agent like honey, you’ll not only remove the gunk from your skin but also hydrate your skin in the process.
- Honey is a humectant. It also contains anti-bacterial properties to help get rid of bacteria on your skin that can cause acne and other skin imperfections. (Source)
- Sugar is a natural source of glycolic acid, an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) that penetrates the skin and breaks down the bonds of dead skin cells, encouraging cell turnover and generating fresh skin layer.
- The enzymes in raw honey clarify skin and keep pores clear and clean and also it is loaded with antioxidants, enzymes, and other nutrients that nourish and hydrate skin.
- Honey is said to lighten skin, and its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial compounds help to decrease the appearances of scars and increase healing and tissue regeneration.
Related: Rose sugar scrub and Orange Sugar scrub for the smooth and flawless skin.
Procedure For Honey Sugar Scrub
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (Buy From Here)
- 1 tablespoon white or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (Buy From Here)
- Your favorite or Lavender Essential oil (Buy From Here)
- Add honey and sugar in a bowl.
- Now, add essential oil and mix well.
- You can adjust the proportion according to your need of use.
- Apply the honey sugar scrub to your skin and gently massage the skin for 3-5 minutes and rinse it off after 15 minutes.
- Repeat this at least once a week. If your skin tolerates it well, use the scrub up to three times per week.
- After exfoliating with a honey sugar scrub, pat your skin dry with a soft towel and apply moisturizer.
2. Pay attention to your skin; if you notice your face become red, inflamed or irritated, stop using the scrub immediately.
3. Always test the scrub on a small portion of your skin first, and immediately stop using the scrub if you notice a skin reaction.
Free Recipe PDF
ShwetaMarch 2, 2018 at 6:52 am
Nice recipe….I have one query. How long is the self life of this scrub? Can I store this scrub for long?
MamtaMarch 15, 2018 at 4:10 pm
You can keep it for 2 weeks.
aralamoMarch 6, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Will try this! Thanks a lot!
AbwunMarch 9, 2018 at 4:13 am
My Face feels really smooth. I love it! It really helps with acne and pimples.
GlamourApril 2, 2018 at 9:33 pm
My face feels like that of a baby… I luv luv luv it…
MaliApril 27, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Will this mixture separate? I made a pink salt and honey face scrub but the two keep separating in the jar within 24 hours.
MamtaMay 9, 2018 at 7:50 am
Hi Mali, You can add beeswax to the mixture to avoid the separation. Just melt the beeswax and mix all the ingredients immediately. Add 1/2-1 tsp beeswax to your recipe.
BandsJuly 17, 2018 at 1:46 am
Or coconut oil and store in a cool place.
AriaJune 9, 2018 at 5:57 pm
Hi can i use the honey available in market?
MamtaJune 10, 2018 at 11:46 am
Hi Aria, yes you can use it but make sure it is natural or organic.
MaryJuly 27, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Hi please does honey,sugar and olive oil gets rid of pimples,acnes and dark spots?
MamtaAugust 22, 2018 at 7:51 am
Hi Mary, I would suggest you not use this scrub if you have active acne or pimples. Scrubbing acne and pimples can exaggerate the conditions. And Yes, this scrub does help in lightening post-acne dark spots.
FraciscaAugust 8, 2019 at 9:47 pm
I believe using this scrub for active acne is not irritating to the skin if used once or twice per week or how much your face can tolerate it. The point of the scrub is to help with acne already on the skin; such as whiteheads, blackheads… etc and problem skin such as acne marks/hyperpigmentation. Something as sugar + honey really isn’t too abrasive on the skin comparing to other harsh acne products that have chemicals. Though everyone has their own tolerance to certain products/ingredients , but this really shouldn’t be too abrasive, and if it is for ones skin then you can run the sugar through the coffee grinder or such to make the sugar more fine/crystallized. If this scrub is too abrasive for the skin where it is actually making a skin conduction worse and irritating it, then of course the use of this product should be stopped and discontinued. But considering the fact that when I had active acne (still do sadly) I went to the dermatologist + esthetician and they prescribed me an acne scrub (which contained harsh chemicals to the face that definitely would do more damage then a simple honey sugar scrub.) if you have acne I would definitely try this scrub! I think it’s quite discouraging saying that a person cannot actually use the sugar scrub if they have active acne, but honestly before anything I would always do a spot test on the inner part of the arm or on the neck. Of course this scrub might not work for everyone, but for someone that has sensitive skin, this is working wonders (and yes I have active acne) 🙂
J. WJune 16, 2018 at 5:36 pm
Is storing the scrub up to 4 weeks a good idea?
MamtaJuly 4, 2018 at 11:05 am
I will always advise you to store scrub for 2 weeks. Try making small batches.
Edang ClarisseJuly 18, 2018 at 8:53 am
for how long can this scrub be used for better results
MamtaJuly 23, 2018 at 5:13 am
Hi Edang, You can use this scrub for 10-15 days.
MariahJuly 30, 2018 at 2:53 am
Hello! Before applying the scrub should I wash my face or just use the scrub right away?!
MamtaJuly 30, 2018 at 5:25 am
Hi Mariah, You should apply the scrub on a cleansed face.
EmilyAugust 27, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Can I use sugar and honey alone as a scrub or should I use olive or coconut oil in the mix as well??
MamtaSeptember 3, 2018 at 6:36 am
Hi Emily, you can make the scrub using sugar and honey only.
DianaAugust 28, 2018 at 4:58 am
Can i use rosehip oil insted or tea tree oil or lavender?
MamtaSeptember 3, 2018 at 6:19 am
Hi Diana, yes you can use rosehip oil for the scrub.
Alexis WatsonAugust 29, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Hi, is it okay to add extra sugar to make it thicker?
MamtaSeptember 3, 2018 at 6:04 am
Hi Alexis, yes you can add more sugar to the scrub. You can change the ingredient ratio according to your needs.
YaseerSeptember 11, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Is it possible to add lime juice in sugar and honey to apply on the face???
MamtaOctober 5, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Yes, you can.
Sarabh GandhiSeptember 24, 2018 at 6:36 pm
How to get rid of undergrown hair of legs and hands?
MamtaOctober 4, 2018 at 5:42 am
Hi Sarabh, you have to exfoliate your hands and legs 3-4 times a week. Make a body scrub with brown sugar, olive oil, and tea tree essential oil. Then apply body moisturizer daily to hydrate skin. You can make a custom body moisturizer to prevent ingrown hairs. Here is the recipe – http://alluringsoul.com/diy-ingrown-hair-cream-treat-red-bumps/
Ose valentineOctober 15, 2018 at 11:43 am
can i use white sugar nd honey as a scrub?
MamtaOctober 18, 2018 at 8:28 am
Hi Ose, yes you can use white sugar in this scrub recipe.
NikkiaOctober 15, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Is there an all natural ingredient that can be added to this to help keep the shelf life longer?
MamtaFebruary 5, 2019 at 6:50 am
Try to avoid adding preservatives. This honey scrub does not contain any water, so, you can keep it for a longer period (like more than 1-2 months) but I recommend to make it in small batches after every 3-4 weeks.
ShanayaNovember 19, 2018 at 2:35 pm
My skin is oily and acne prone. Can I use honey, aloevera gel and white sugar as a scruber? Will it help me to get rid of acnes ? Also my lips are dry and black. How can I get rid of this permanently? Kindly give me some easy solution
MamtaNovember 21, 2018 at 2:57 am
Hi Shanaya, yes, the scrub will work on acne if you use it regularly. Also, this scrub can be more effective if you add a few drops of tea tree oil. Make sure you are not using the scrub on broken and active acne. It can make your skin condition worse.
JaneNovember 25, 2018 at 10:48 am
Hi, does this scrub gets rid of acne scars or spots?
I have alotta acne spots on my face
MamtaJanuary 11, 2019 at 5:46 am
Hi Jane, this scrub is effective on scars as well as on dark spots.
BalikisDecember 17, 2018 at 10:58 am
Please what can I use to moisturize after the scrub
MamtaDecember 23, 2018 at 6:43 am
Hi Balikis, you can use a cream or face serum to moisturize your face.
QaanitahMarch 9, 2019 at 7:38 am
Hi, can I use this scrub daily?
MamtaMarch 12, 2019 at 6:06 am
Applying scrub daily can be harsh for your skin. It can cause irritation or red skin. So, apply scrub 2-3 times in a week.
BiaJuly 9, 2019 at 5:47 pm
Hi, I have acne on my skin. Does this honey sugar scrub will help me to get rid of acne and clear my skin?
MamtaAugust 12, 2019 at 6:16 am
Hi Bia, Yes, it will help.