Dry skin feels rough and is more prone to wrinkles. To combat this problem, you can make face serum at home with simple ingredients and which are easy to make. This DIY Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum is very effective for removing skin dryness, wrinkles, and makes skin soft.
Why hyaluronic acid? Well, it is the molecule that is naturally present in the skin and is responsible for retaining water and keeping the skin elastic and firm. When the level of Hyaluronic Acid starts depleting, the skin loses its moisture and elasticity and becomes wrinkled and saggy.
Let’s take a look at what is Hyaluronic Acid and how it works?
Table of Contents
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a gel-like sugar molecule that is naturally present in the skin. It helps the skin to retain water and keeps it plump and hydrated. It attracts and binds to water molecules and increases the water content of the skin. In simple terms, it works as a humectant.
- It is all-natural.
- It is primarily obtained from bacterial fermentation and rooster combs. There are also other several sources (plant-based) to obtain hyaluronic acid, so ask your supplier to clarify which source their hyaluronic acid is from.
- It is non-comedogenic and good for all skin types.
Why Hyaluronic Acid Is Good For Face?
As we age, there is a marked decrease in the levels of hyaluronic acid in the skin. This results in the loss of moisture and leads to sagging of skin. The process is speeded up if the skin is exposed to UV radiation.
Thus, hyaluronic acid supplements are anti-aging in nature. They help to reduce wrinkles and fine lines and keep the skin hydrated. (source)
Hyaluronic Acid supplements treat dry skin and provide adequate moisture.
Hyaluronic acid also helps in the faster healing of wounds, and its anti-inflammatory properties reduce skin inflammations like redness.
What Are The Types Of Hyaluronic Acid?
There are 2 types of hyaluronic acid
- Low Molecular: Low molecular hyaluronic acid is the one with more long-term advantages. It is split into small fragments that penetrate the skin deeply and boost collagen synthesis. It helps in keeping the skin firm and elastic and reduces wrinkles.
- High Molecular: High molecular hyaluronic acid molecules are significantly larger than low molecular Hyaluronic Acid and hence cannot penetrate the skin deeply. However, it forms a gel-like substance and its ability to lubricate and hydrate the skin is better than that of low molecular Hyaluronic Acid.
So, Which One Is Better For The Skin?
Both Hyaluronic Acid types are good for the skin. You can use any type of hyaluronic acid to make your face serum or the combination of both but high molecular weight hyaluronic acid gives thick gel-like consistency to serum. Low molecular weight hyaluronic acid is that which is below 800 kDa. will not gel-like the high molecular weight one.
NOTE : 1.0 – 1.5 Million Daltons size Hyaluronic Acid gives a perfect thin gel-like consistency for making a face serum. I Prefer this size to make my face serum.
Is Preservative needed In DIY Hyaluronic Acid Serum?
Yes, a preservative is required because this is a water-based product, it is very important to protect it from microbial growth. You can use any broad-spectrum preservative according to its specified usage percentage.
Benefits Of DIY Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum For Aging Skin
- It helps to maintain the moisture levels in the skin. It provides a smoothing and firming effect on the skin.
- It reduces skin inflammations like redness and itching. It soothes the skin and improves skin tone.
- It encourages faster wound healing.
- Rosewater has antioxidant properties, which helps in the regeneration of new cells and fights against the main reason for aging; i.e oxidative stress.
- Rosewater soothes the skin and gives it a refreshing look. Its astringent properties tighten pores, balances oil production and unclogs pores, exfoliating dead skin cells, and removing impurities.
- Witch hazel has anti-inflammatory properties, which soothe inflamed, irritated, or broken skin. It works as an astringent, shrinking pores and tightening skin to give it a youthful look.
- Witch hazel is rich in antioxidants, due to the presence of tannins. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals and thus protect the skin from the adverse effects of oxidative stress like premature aging.
Procedure For DIY Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum For Aging Skin
- (1%) 0.3g hyaluronic acid (Buy From Here)
- (2%) 0.6g vegetable glycerine (Buy From Here)
- (60%) 18g rose water (Buy From Here)
- (36.5%) 10.95g witch hazel (Buy From Here)
- (0.5%) 0.15g liquid germall plus (Buy From Here)
- Because the ingredients are typically present at very low amounts you’ll need to use an accurate scale—preferably one accurate to 0.01g.
- Take your weighing scale and put a container above it and set the scale into grams.
- Measure the hyaluronic acid, liquid germall plus(preservative) and glycerine in a glass container or beaker.
- Then, add rosewater and witch hazel, and mix everything well. You will see small clumps of hyaluronic acid powder in the serum. You'll just have to leave it alone and allow the powder to absorb more of the liquid. After several hours of resting, the serum will become transparent and can be easily mixed together with other ingredients in a serum to get a smooth serum.
- Now, cover the container with aluminum foil and keep the serum in a refrigerator for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- After 8 hours, remove the serum from the refrigerator and mix everything well. You will get a transparent and perfect gel-like serum.
- Transfer the serum into a dropper bottle or any glass container.
- You can keep this serum for 3-4 months because this serum contains a broad-spectrum preservative.
- Cleanse your face with a cleanser and apply this serum to your moist face.
- Let it absorbed by the skin and then you can apply your moisturizer.
2. Do not use more than 2% HA in your serum because it will make your skin dry.
3. Always make a serum that can last up to 3 months to avoid any microbial growth.
4. You can use any broad-spectrum preservatives in your recipe.
5. Always do a patch test.
6. Always apply the serum on a wet face to avoid dry skin.
A DIY face serum is a cost-effective and convenient way to provide the skin with essential nutrients. This DIY Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum is the best gift you can give to your dry skin. It will make your skin soft, firm, and wrinkle-free. Say goodbye to dry and rough skin by using this serum on your face regularly.