(This post contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.)
It’s true that women spend a lot of money on makeup, maybe an average of $500-1000 a year, but its all for a good cause. It would be unjust to brutally criticize makeup without looking at its benefits to the wearer. Putting on makeup, a woman feels better about herself; she feels prettier and even sexier. A makeup can hide make many skin issues like wrinkles, acne, scars, dark spots. But you also know that makeup can make your skin imperfect if it’s not removed properly. It can clog skin pore which is just the birth of skin problems.
If you want to have clean and glowing skin, then you absolutely must take off all your makeup. You’re doing your skin the ultimate favor by taking off your makeup at night. Sleeping with your face makeup on can lead to the lifeless skin. Removing your makeup every night is a skin care necessity.
There are many products in the market or makeup removers that will help you to clean your face but many of them are either filled with chemicals which can ruin your skin in the long term or costly. So, why not make a simple way to make DIY homemade makeup remover pads at home with less effort with no extra money. And one of the best advantages is, you will be able to adjust the ingredients to suit your skin type and adjust the amount of liquid so that the makeup remover pads aren’t too dry or too wet.
So let take a look at what the benefits of ingredients used in making DIY homemade makeup remover pads.
- Coconut oil exfoliates the dead skin cells and becomes an excellent scrub. Blocked pores are the main reason for acne and blackheads. It calms and soothes the redness and irritation of the skin. It has antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties which keep the skin free from harmful microbes. Due to its saturated fats, it melts on the skin when it is being applied and it easily seeps into the skin pores, moisturizing deeply. It preserves the smoothness of the skin by keeping it wrinkle-free.
- Tea tree essential oil has antibacterial and antiviral properties which kill bacteria and virus causing acne. Anti-microbial and antiseptic properties of tea tree oil kill harmful microbes and protect wounds from getting infected. It has unique disinfecting and soothing properties. It removes acne and acne scars and keeps skin hydrated. (Check tea tree oil face cleanser for acne prone skin).
- Lavender oil works as the best natural remedy to nourish your skin as it contains antibacterial and antifungal properties which help to fight acne causing bacteria, promote wound healing and preventing scarring from occurring the first place. It encourages the regeneration of healthy skin cells to lighten scars and exfoliates dead skin cells.
- Frankincense essential oil is very effective for scars, dark spots and wrinkles. It helps in regeneration of skin cells and makes them less visible due to its powerful astringent and regenerative properties. It helps to remove eye bags, slows signs of aging and keeps skin hydrated.
Procedure to make DIY Homemade Makeup Remover Pad
- Add the soap and coconut oil to the hot water and stir until the coconut oil has completely melted.
- Add essential oils of your choice to complement your skin type. I used 5 drops Lavender oil, 3 drops of tea tree oil and 3 drops of frankincense essential oil to fight against fine lines and wrinkles, acne, blocked pores and get clear, glowing skin.
- Stack your round cotton pads in a small airtight glass container and pour the mixture over the pads.
- This pint (8 ounces) mason jar holds enough pads to last me a couple of weeks. The remover solution should be fine for that long.
- Simply take a pad from the jar and start removing the makeup. Use as many as you need….it’s cheap and easy to make more!