As we know basil is a sacred plant for indians and we all worship it as a goddess. Many indians have tulsi plants growing in front of or near of their home. There are many amazing benefits of basil for skin due to the high medicinal value of this sacred plant. It spreads positive vibes in the surroundings. But the benefits of basil plant is not limited only to the medicinal properties, it is also extended towards the skin as well as to the kitchen. With a sweet and pungent flavor, basil is popular in Italian and Asian cuisine. They are very known for their aroma and essential oils which makes them to be used for cooking, skin, muscle ache etc.
The high levels of medicinal values of this wonderful sacred plant have placed the plant at higher order and have given a divine touch to the plant.
The herb contains high quantities of (E)-beta-caryophyllene (BCP), which may be useful in treating arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases, according to research conducted at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
BENEFITS OF BASIL ON SKIN:
- Basil leaves are used topically to the skin. It enhances the luster of dull-looking skin because Ursolic acid helps in toning the skin, closing the open pores and cleaning excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells from the skin surface as a result to give a brighter and cleaner appearance. Due to this it is extensively used in many skin care supplements that claim to improve the tone of your skin. and hence it is also commonly used to treat the symptoms of acne and other skin infections.
Holy basil extracts from leaves and oil from the seeds have anti-inflammatory properties. A study presented at the Royal Pharmaceutical Society’s annual event, revealed that “extracts of O. tenuiflorum (Holy basil) were shown to reduce swelling by up to 73%, 24 hours after treatment”.
- It has rich source of antioxidants and polyphenolic flavonoids like orientin and vicenin which acts as an effective anti-ageing agent that tightens skin and prevents the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and age spots on the skin. It helps in cell regeneration and increases the growth of skin cells to provide a soft, supple and fresh appearance to it.
According to research presented at the British Pharmaceutical Conference (BPC) in Manchester, basil has properties that can help prevent the harmful effects of aging. Holy basil extract was effective at killing off harmful molecules and preventing damage caused by some free radicals in the liver, brain and heart.
- The effective anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory property of basil helps in controlling the outbreak of acne,boils and pimples. The natural oils of this herb work as a natural cleanser .
- The effective anti-bacterial properties of basil make it a perfect remedy for getting rid of stubborn blackheads and whiteheads. Camphene present in basil removes excess oil, dead cells etc that clogs the hair follicles and result in formation of blackheads. In addition, the essential oils present in basil also removes skin spots caused by acne and pimples.
- Basil helps to reduce the inflammation and redness caused by the chronic disease ECZEMA. Due to vitamin A and its anti-septic property, it helps by normalising skin functions so it corrects all skin conditions and also it soothes the skin, reduce itching and inflammation.
- It contains Vitamin K which helps the skin heal wounds, bruises, and areas affected by acne, eczema ringworms etc. The basic functions of vitamin K are also thought to help certain skin conditions, such as acne scar stretch marks etc.
So if you want to spice up your skin with its innumerable benefits, you should not wait for anything because this herb can make your skin more lovable than before.