Aloe Vera is a natural product that is now a day frequently used in the field of cosmetology. The antibacterial properties of aloe Vera gel helps to get rid of skin related problems like acne, pimples, dryness, blemishes, etc.
Cleopatra and Nefertiti, two queens of Egypt, apparently used Aloe Vera to keep their skin soft. It was used to treat soldiers’ wounds by Christopher Columbus and Alexander the Great.
Aloe Vera is a succulent plant and stores water in its leaves, which are thick and fleshy. The leaves produce two substances – the gel, which is more or less water with several other nutrients mixed in, and the sap, which is also known as aloe latex.
Active components of Aloe Vera with its properties
Aloe Vera contains 75 potentially active constituents: vitamins, enzymes, minerals, sugars, salicylic acids, amino acids etc.
- It contains vitamins A, C and E, which are antioxidants. It also contains vitamin B12. Antioxidants protect skin by limiting the production of free radicals, which can damage skin cells. It can do a lot for the health and appearance of your skin, including reducing the signs of aging.
Researchers at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, wrote about a study in the journal Molecules. The scientists focused on the extract’s possible antioxidants and antimycoplasmic activities. Mycoplasma are a type of bacteria that lack a cell wall, they are unaffected by many common antibiotics. Antimycoplasmic substances destroy these bacteria.They reported that Aloe Vera flower leaf extracts had antioxidant properties. The leaf skin extract also exhibited antimycoplasmic properties.
In an article published in pythotherapy research, the Scientists at Kyung Hee University Global Campus, South Korea, explained that aloe vera may potentially protect the skin from UV-induced photo-damage of the skin.
- Alkaline phosphatase etc which helps to reduce excessive inflammation when applied to the skin topically.
A study has done in 1935 and 1996 reported that aloe vera extract helped to reduce inflammation related to skin disease . It also provides rapid relief from the itching and burning associated with severe radiation dermatitis, acne and skin regeneration.
- Auxins and gibberellins help in wound healing and have anti-inflammatory action.
- It also contains salicylic acid that possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties and kills the acne causing bacteria.
- Aloe vera helps in moisturizing your skin, keeps the skin hydrated, rejuvenated and glowing.
According to Medical Affairs, Sterling Winthrop Consumer Health Group, Sterling Winthrop Inc., New York.
A review of four clinical studies and a comedolytic assay attests to the efficacy and safety of 0.5% and 2% solutions of salicylic acid for the treatment of acne vulgaris( acne causing bacteria). In three placebo-controlled studies and a comedolytic assay, salicylic acid reduced the number of primary lesions.
There are endless benefits of aloe Vera gel which promote clear and glowing skin.
So, what are you waiting for. Try these simple and easy DIY face masks that give your skin a proper nutrition.